Yes. Just set the flash to Manual using the Fn button menu. That's how mine's set. The flash will only be enabled when you press the button to open it manually. I've never had it set to anything else... ;-)

When the shutter speed drops below a threshold (still don't know whether it's focal length sensitive or not...), the camera will light the flash warning at the bottom of the viewfinder as a suggestion. It's barely visible, certainly not annoying, and serves as a helpful reminder if you're not paying attention to explicit shutter speed to hold the camera steadily.

With the DS, if you mount a manual focus lens and have the focus mode set to AF, the shutter will not release unless the focus confirmation system thinks it's in focus and lights the green confirmation indicator at the bottom of the viewfinder. Easy to ignore it and defeat the problem: just flip the switch to MF and ignore the indicator light. I often turn off the focus point indicator too when using a manual focus lens as it will always indicate focus on the center point, that's in the Custom Settings menu, "Superimpose AF area"...

The DS has a number of things when set to its "idiot mode" defaults to help a novice from not making exposures accidentally that will be crappy. Luckily, each and every one of them can be turned off easily, and they stay that way.

Godfrey
"Have I said how much I like this camera today?" :-)

BTW:
The FA35/2 is a super match to the DS ... Speed, size and weight are perfect for a normal lens. The AF is very quick and sure, and its imaging qualities are superb. On manual focus, it has a light, smooth, sure feel, and is contrasty enough to snap in and out of focus beautifully. I'm very glad I bought this lens, it is a perfect complement to the FA20-35 and F50/1.7.

(I'm sure the FA28/2.8 is too, for a wide-normal focal length. I'm tempted to just order one of those as well. Sigh ... lens acquisition greed strikes again.)