The scuttlebutt hearsay on this lens is that they are prone to element separation due to some quality control issues in assembly. That said, if you got a good one, the other scuttlebutt I've heard is that a good one is superb. For a one-stop light loss compared to the f/2.8 model, I'd much rather have the light weight and compact size of the f/4 model, presuming that a good one was actually what the scuttelbutt hearsay claims. (I don't own one, but one of my local Pentaxian user friends does and he loves it... obviously, he got a good one. ;-)

That said, the FA28-105/3.2-4.5 AL IF seems to be just as good a performer in the 28-70 focal length range (at least), is a little faster when wide, nets a little more reach at full tele, and costs only $210 new. It's also small and light. So if the one you bought does turn out to be damaged somehow, there are other good, inexpensive options.

Godfrey