----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: OT: Photographing insects

Illinois Bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If it's outside, perhaps it is a cicada?

I thought it might be an odd sort of cicada, or one making a different
sound, but I found a lot of cicada sound samples on the net and none
like this.

More data: This insect appears (or starts making its sound) in early
August and generally continues through September here in Pittsburgh. It
seems to only make its sound around dusk - from just after sunset until
around 9:30-10:00.

It really sounds like a couple of isolated "dogday" cicadas. Not to be confused with the periodical 17-year/13-year cicadas. The dogday cicadas have been chirping up a storm in my neighborhood this year. We get dozens of them in chorus which is much louder and you can't really pick out individuals.

This is a sound of a different type of cicada that sounds like yours:
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/Michigan_Cicadas/Michigan/WAVsounds/vitIL72.WAV

Christian