unless you are using the very best lenses, they are the limiting factor. next limit is technique. hand holding won't tax the sensor's resolution even with top quality lenses unless you shoot quite a bit faster than the rule of thumb limit of 1/focal-length shutter speed.

Herb....
----- Original Message ----- From: "Toralf Lund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: 36mm x 36mm sensor?

Yes, and there is a theoretical limit to how small you can make a sensor element, too. It's quantum mechanics; a CCD/CMOS sensor element (and I guess a grain on film, too) is essentially a device that counts photons hitting an area, and there's a limit to how small you can make that area and still catch enough photons to be able to distinguish between different colour levels. I've read that the smallest sensors today are pretty close to those limits, but I'm not sure if that information is actually correct.