Chris Stoddart wrote:
Or maybe it's concave to make sure it *doesn't* have any effect? If a flat sheet of glass (re Mike Wilson's suggestion) has the effect of changing the angle of refraction noticeably at higher angles of incidence (and this *is* a wide angle lens) then it would make sense to offer up a concave (diverging) lens to counter the converging effect of diffraction? :-)

Yeah, the possibility crossed my mind. :-) That's about the point where I decided that actual measurements/calculations would be required, and no way could I be bothered... ;-)