On Aug 25, 2005, at 10:24 PM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

I don't think we're really disagreeing, just describing the same thing a
little differently.

lol ... Perhaps.  :-)

I think in terms of digital process almost exclusively nowadays. The expression "colors and tonalities are converted arbitrarily" is definitely not describing what I do when I'm rendering B&W photographs from my exposures with the DS. I am rendering the colors and tonalities very precisely according to what I wanted when I made the photo and again when I looked at the preview thumbnail to evaluate it. There's not much that's "arbitrary" about it.

However, I'm not trying to emulate any specific film & developer combination... :-)

Godfrey