If it's not too late I'll throw my two cents in.

I've used Apple's camera connector with my Ipod photo (40gig) and my *ist D (I'd assume the DS would work too). My impression is that it's pitifully slow when compared to the competition. The Apple takes 30 minutes to empty a 256mb flash card while the Media Gear Portable HD(http://tinyurl.com/am7f4) takes about 4.

The DS's improved USB speed might make a difference but I consider it a waste of $29 plus tax. It seems to me that the iPod photo line was just a gimmick to draw in customers for the holiday season and the camera connector was a way for them to justify the 'photo' name when the "wow" factor of the color screen wore off. If I didn't receive the Ipod as a gift I probably would of sold it by now to buy one of the mini's and a Compact Drive PD7x.

I have a friend that uses Belkin's card reader but it seems to be just as slow and you can't view the images on the ipod. The camera connector allows you to view jpgs but not raw (I've never tried tiffs).

I've heard of certain card readers working with it but I've only had success with Lexar Jumpshots which require their USB enabled flash cards.

If you really want to try the Apple camera connector I'd be willing to sell you mine for $10 plus shipping, if you're in the US it's $3.85 for priority mail. Contact me off the list at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Derby Chang wrote:

Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, I think I need to check this out. I was thinking of using the pod as mass storage while travelling. But if it only transfers jpgs then it won't be that useful.

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

I was not referring to the use of the iPod as a FireWire/USB 2.0 hard drive, attached to a host computer. I do that with mine all the time ... I keep an encrypted copy of my financial database and other critical files on an iPod as a backup in case of my systems' hard drive failing (as well as in other places, of course).

I was referring to the use of the iPod Photo as a standalone image storage device. The latest versions of the iPod Photo can attach directly to a camera and initiate the transfer of image files to its disk. However, I am not sure that it will transfer anything but JPEG files ... that is, it will not transfer .CRW, not .NEF, not .PEF, etc, RAW format files in this mode. I'm not sure about that, however, so it's something to check with the specs of the iPod Photo software before relying upon it.

Godfrey