On 8/28/05, Juan Buhler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Frank, I think the shot stands by itself and doesn't need to be defended.

I wasn't defending this photo, which I actually like a great deal;  I
agree that it stands well on its own.  I was taking (polite) issue
with Shel's comment that it's all too typical of my other photos, and
(the implication) that I should take and post photos that are focused
and composed.  As for the photo itself, if folks like it, I'm greatly
pleased, but I certainly know that it's not everyone's style, and some
just "aren't into it", which is fine by me.  I always think that the
more polarized responses I get, the more I'm doing my "job" (such as
it is... <g>).

> I think Shel's "careful composition" phrase implies a desire for
> thoughtful, maybe slow? framing. There's a lot to be said about
> someone who can quickly compose on the fly, without thinking about it,
> like this picture obviously was (and I mean that in a good way, as in
> composing "with the heart" instead of "with your head".)
>
> BTW, the midtones look just a little bit washed up for my taste--but
> I'm looking at it in some random monitor in Budapest, so it might be
> that :)

Well, I know my monitor's not calibrated, and my lack of scanning/PS
prowess is by now legendary, so who knows, between you monitor and
mine, how close your view is to the original print?  <g>

Thanks again for your comments - much appreciated.

cheers,
frank