Jim,

Excellent point.  Unfortunately, the quality is all about what the consumer can
afford now.  There was a time in the past when all the camera companies made one
grade of equipment.  Now they all market to different levels of affordability.
Canon specifically has three grades of lens each targeted at a specific level of
photographer.  The "L" lens being the pro lens or the equalivent of the Pentax
"FA*" lens.  To put a consumer lens on a Canon EOS 1 IV would also be a mismatch
too, but the marketing department at Canon has people thinking they have the
best when it comes to SLRs and lens.  But us "X" Canon users know that they
really don't have the better product.

  The real problem is that Pentax has done such a poor job of marketing their
high in SLRs that the volume will never be high enough to produce the volume of
top quality "pro" Pentax lens today like Canon or Nikon.  Pentax's market is in
the consumer SLR and point and shoot camera area so that is where the majority
of the lens will be produced.  Ever once in a while Pentax will produce
something like the "Limited" lens to keep the high end market alive.  My
greatest fear is that Pentax will go the way of Miranda if they don't do a
better job of marketing.  Great product just not enough sales.

Darryl