On 8/28/05, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Getting ready for my bicycle trip in France next week. I depart Friday
> and I'm now deciding what camera gear to bring. I'll obviously be
> traveling very light on the bicycle (I'm thinking just ist-D and 43
> Limited) but we're having most of out gear transported from one hotel to
> the next for us so I can have more lenses and a lightweight tripod
> available for around town shooting after we reach the day's destination.
>
> I've made one decision already: No zooms. I do love my FA* zooms and the
> Tamron 17-35 and Vivitar 70-210 S1, and I end up using zooms most of the
> time for my "work" shooting. So much so that I want to deliberately
> eschew all zooms for this recreational trip, even though I expect to be
> going after some sellable shots while I'm there. Should be fun. I'll
> bring the Pentax 20, 24, 31 and 43. I don't think I'll bring a 50 this
> time. Oddly enough, the only long prime I have (other than the 300/2.8,
> which *will* be staying home!) is a 200/4.0 Cosina. It's a "pre-A" lens,
> so I'd guess it to be late 70's or early 80's vintage. Lovely
> construction and really nice optical characteristics (at least when
> stopped down - I haven't tried it wide open yet).
>
> Should be fun... as long as I can scrape by on my (very) minimal French
> language skills :-)

How are you transporting your bike?  Does your airline charge extra
for bikes?  Most do.

I would say that it's worth renting a proper hardshell case for it -
many bike shops will rent them for about $50 a week.  When I was
sitting waiting to debark at Laguardia, I had a birdseye view of the
luggage handlers taking oversized packages off the conveyer and
putting them on the luggage carts.  The hardshell cases were ~placed~
on the carts.  The bikes in cardboard boxes and bags were thrown,
pedals and handlebars sticking through the cartons and all.

With your lovely new Jamis, I wouldn't take a chance...

Of course, maybe you'll be renting bikes over there. <g>

cheers,
frank