From: "Pål Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 1:00 PM
Subject: (P)Z-1 (WAS: My First Impressions on the MZ-S)

> Bucky wrote:
>

> > Thank you.  If Pentax would just see their way clear to update the AF,
> > weatherproof the thing, and give us a vertical release, I would have no
> > complaints.  Of course, I KNOW it's not gonna happen, but still...I do
> > remember something about reaches and grasps.
>

> Actually the Z-1 was weather sealed but Pentax changed their mind. They
also shelved the Z-1p sucessor, tentatively labeled Z-2, somewhere in the
mid 90's. The reason is pretty obvious: the Z-1(p) didn't sell. The LX sold
better in Japan than the Z-1p even in year 2000. The Z-1p didn't catch on
here where I live. Upon buying mine in '95 my Pentax rep told me it hadn't
really cought on. A few months back he said that they had practically
speaking stopped selling it years ago. I don't know where the the Z-1(p)
ever was popular.
> I suspect that Pentax simply decided to dump the price on the Z-1p instead
of spending more R&D on its sucessor - they may have lost less money on such
a move. This explains it price which was in the last few years way below any
comparable camera.
> Pentax now say that the Z-1p will evolve into it sucessor. I believe its
important to note the word evolve. Its most likely a very different beast
than the Z-1p and most likely way more expensive.

> I'll say the Z-1(p) is an excellent Canon anno 1989 but without the lure
of USM and an extensive lens line; not to mention brand lure. In 1992 the
Pentax lens line-up had serious holes. I simply believed that the Z-1p
failed, something it undeniably did, because Pentax users and non-Pentax
users alike couldn't figure out why they should buy an Z-1 instead of a
Canon or Minolta (or a Nikon for that matter). Back then, few had invested
heavily into Pentax AF lenses and if you wanted AF, even if you were a
Pentax user, you could just as well invest into EOS or something and this is
exactly what many did. At the time Pentax decided to reduce the price on the
Z-1p, the camera was seen as behind the pack.