Yes, I've met Ken a couple of times.

Listen, I'm not going to get into a name-calling hissy-spat here. Compilers are very complex software projects: the gcc compiler suite is probably a larger code base than Mac OS X itself, and it has been pummeled, tweaked, beaten up, and shoved around by many many different programmers over its lifespan to date. I know a few of the other engineers who have worked on it have a few choice words to direct at some of the original authors too. ;-)

None of this stuff is perfect, nor is it simple enough to take the word of one engineer as gospel truth.

Godfrey