That does sound like the separation others talk about. That's the bad news. The good news is that you can now justify buying an FA28-105 f/3.2-4.5 (Around $200, if you can find one somewhere) or a DA16-45 f/4 (expensive, moderate size, but very nice). Me, I have both. ;)

Patrice LACOUTURE (GMail) wrote:
Hi all fellow Pentaxists.

I just got my new *ist DS (at a very good price BTW) and am very happy with it, but I noticed today that my good old 28-70 f/4 AL produced soft images. What I mean with soft, is more like a sharp image, with a kind of halo around every contrasty detail... A bit like those "soft" filters, or what one would obtain digitally by stacking a blurred copy with 50% opacity, or by blowing onto the front element right before shooting.

So I'm wondering whether it could be the rear element separation syndrome discussed above... What exactly is it supposed to look like? I looked through the unmounted lens, but could not notice anything suspicious. I also looked at the rear lens at low angle to spot any unusual reflection, but could not identify anything suspicious again... The DS takes good pictures with the (initially far inferior) Tokina 19-35 3.5-4.5 and the (fairly good) M 135 3.5 Super Takumar.

I had a protective filter that happened to be rather dirty. I removed it, cleaned the front lens carefully, and this improved the image, but some of the burring effect remained.

I've been really happy with this terrific lens since 1997, and parting from it will be a bad experience, although with the DS I'm quite interested in something more like a 18-125 or at least 18-80 if that exists... if it was not for the financial aspect, as I just bought the DS!!!

Regards to all faithfuls of the PUG, I've been back for two weeks (since my DS), and it still looks like a very good mailing list. Much more constructive talk and less flame wars than in most others...

Patrice