In and of themselves they are accented dialects... It's amazing what people will write, and editors will pass.

Graywolf wrote:

I have read that "educated mid-western english", and "upper-class british english" (I assume not- the TV and movie, "I, say, what?" stuff) are the only unaccented english dialects.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Paul Stenquist wrote:

Having spent much time in both California and the upper midwest, I have to say that the accents are indistinguishable to me. I think this is due in part to the fact that a large number -- perhaps a majority -- of southern Californians emigrated from the industrial cities of the midwest.