Marnie aka Doe;

Yep, can't be more than 5 miles or so.  It is in a desert
area though.  It doesn't look like much from the top, but
when you go in it, wow, unbelievable.  The colors really pop
depending on what time of the day you are in there.  I think
early morning is suppose to be the best although I was in
there in June (last year) around 2 pm and it was pretty nice
then as well.

There are two different slots - upper and lower -one is
longer than the other - both are challenging - climbing
skills would be helpful.   There is a charge - I think our
kids got in for free (after we talked to the guides for a
time) and it must have been about $25 or so for the permit.
Worthwhile, IMNSHO.

We didn't have a guide past taking us to the entrance and no
Jeep, just a rent a car.

Lake Powell itself is very nice - such a deep blue next to
the reddish stones - very vibrant color contrast.  We toured
the inside of the dam, on top of which you can get some neat
snaps.    We found a lodge that had a giant water trampoline
and kayaks on lake Powell that my kids enjoyed immensely.

Looking back at my photos, some other nice places:

 Red Rock Canyon - Birdseye Trail.  this is right near Bryce,
very easy to overlook, but you can climb straight up some
beautiful cliffs and take some very nice pictures being right
on top of the formations.  Personally, Bryce was a bit of a
letdown, but we were very tired by this point and did not
have time to really see it properly.

Lenox Crater, AZ.  Wow, black cinders and ancient craters!
Very strange to see old lava flows in the middle of Arizona.
One super tough climb if you want to take it, many easier
ones.  Amazing contrast with the rest of the state.

Not to mention the Petrified forest, (the Badlands are nearby
this is also very nice, not the Badlands of South Dakota) and
all the old pueblos you can shake a stick at (liked Tuzigoot
a bit more than some of the others).

Being a native of Ohio, well, we just don't see things like
this everyday.  I do not know if we have any list members who
actually live in that area, but maybe they could add a few
comments.  If you are looking at AZ, I know the terrain is
very different in the south verses the north.  Much cooler in
the north Has to do with elevation, I believe.  To me, the
area around Sedona and to the north of it are very different
from the rest of the state.  Phoenix and Tuscon, in
comparison, are pits of fire.

Dave

Marnie aka Doe said:

So Antelope Valley is near Glen Canyon? (I was thinking it
was somewhere else
entirely). It's one thing I haven't seen. I am taking a trip
to the Southwest
next spring to check out possible cities to move to. Maybe I
can take a small
detour for some photography.

Where exactly is it? Thanks. It looks totally cool (from some
photographs
I've seen.) Does one need a jeep? Does one need to hire a
guide?

Marnie aka Doe