> From: "John Celio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/09/06 Tue AM 04:46:02 GMT
> To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
> Subject: Re: Optio S5z?
>
> >I see this as a self fulfilling prophecy.  Put a squinty lousy optical
> >finder on a camera and few people will use it.  Since so few people use it
> >put  cheaper even worse finder on the next model.  After a few iterations
> >of this, no one is using the optical viewfinder, so obviously no optical
> >viewfinder is necessary.
>
> Eh, I don't know, the viewfinders in the small cameras aren't really that
> bad.  They just seem small, like the cameras they're built into.  I doubt
> there's a way to build larger ones.  I've never had a problem using
> viewfinders (even with my glasses) in current digital P&S cameras, though I
> admit I'd never use one when I can use the screen instead.

But.....

Most of the people I've seen using compacts use standard snapshot methodology.
You get your subject square-on in front of you looking towards you and into the
sun.  This ensures a good holiday squint and plenty of dark shadows under the
eyes.

On a digibox, it also ensures that the LCD is facing the sun and is nothing
more than a black square with specular highlights.  More so, if the user is of
a certain age and needs to hold it at arm's length so that focus can be
achieved.  Been there, done that.  So I used the viewfinder and made allowance
for the terrible parallax errors that I knew could occur.  Many others seem to
persevere with the LCD and review/erase/reshoot, which I find to be extremely
odd behaviour.

> And with the way the market has been going lately, most camera makers could
> really use the extra profit.

Very true.

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software