On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:18:54 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>I want a wall-sized (meters on a side -- 3mx4m or larger) macro shot
>staring down into the center of an orange tiger lilly with enough depth
>of field that the (stamens?) projecting into the foreground are sharp,

That's not a difficult shot - just take most any 35mm
camera and 100mmm lens, stop down to f22, and shoot
with a subject distance of 36 inches. The DOF would be
about 4.4 inches.

It's the enlargement that's challenging. The 35mm shot
described above will give a field of view of 7.6 x 11.5
inches, so you would be looking at having several
lilies in the photo.

The large field of view makes the enl;argement
difficult, no matter whether you shoot 35mm or 4x5. If
you want just one lily enlarged, you'll be starting
from a small cropped area of the original neg.

Sure, you could enlarge this to any size. The
determining factor for "sharpness" at wall-size
(assuming you used hi-res film/lens to take a sharp
photo, and got a sharp enlargement) is the viewing
distance.

The tilt-and-swing guys have a technique to get more
DOF from a given focal length. I bet that is the most
practical method to get the photo you want. Or maybe
there is some slice-and-dice computer methodology using
multiple images to get one sharp composite.
--
Happy Trails,
Texdance