*snippage*
>   1. I didnt get a manual with the camera. I dont
> have a credit card, thus ordering one from various
> online sources is a giant pain. Does anyone have a
> scanned copy, or know whwre I can find one on the
> web? (Hope this request isnt sacrilege;)

Yes, Pentax will mail you a manual if you phone their
hotline, the bill comes with the manual so no credit
card is needed. Here is a link to the PZ-1p manual
(http://www.lumine.net/jat/equipment/pz1p/) I'm not
sure how many features differ between the z1 and z1p,
hope this helps. :)

>   2. The PZ-1 has an autofocus viewfinder screen.
> If/How can I aquire a nice split field finder like
> my super me.. im relying mostly on my old K-mount
> lenses right now.

Unfortunately, no split-image screens are available
for the z1, that I know of at least. This was a
concern of mine as well when I upgraded from a K1000
to the z1p. But I've learned that I actually like the
plain screen better. It takes a little to get used to
but it does work. :) The indicator light is helpful
too. The comapny that I work my dayjob at supplies us
with 645's and mine has a SI screen in it, can't tell
you how often I've thought about changing it...

Hope this all helps,
Nick