Hi Dave ... I'd need a long tie <LOL>

Thanks for you good wishes.  It's hard to imagine getting two duds in a
row, but considering everything, I ain't counting the chickens ...

I'd decided that if the DS couldn't be replaced I'd get one of the istD's
that are on the KEH site.  A bit more spendy, but still within budget
(barely) for what I want, which is essentially to learn the digital
workflow and see if it's something I want to continue with without spending
too many $$ to get started.  I'm "cautiously embracing" the idea, although
I have to admit to being excited as well.

Shel