I shot the CNE airshow a week ago with my Nikon gear. A 2x TC and a 70-210 at 210mm worked out pretty well (420mm effective).

-Adam

Bob Sullivan wrote:

Fred,

I was happy with the FA70-210/3.5-4.5 zoom on the *ist DS last month.
Finding the planes can be a challenge at 200mm.  The A300/4 would be tougher.

Here's a shapshot I took on Chicago's lakefront at the air & water show.

http://members.aol.com/rfsindg/t-birds.jpg

USAF Thunderbirds, with FA70-210/3.5-4.5 zoom (the wobbly one)
Crop of original at 100% - camera shake added by photographer.
(The formation was a small part of a much bigger picture - 2000x3000)
This was taken at the Chicago Air & Water show last Saturday.
Look closely at the end of right wing of the last aircraft.
Shortly after this pass, the last half of the Thunderbird's show was canceled.
Reports were that a missle rail (hanger) had fallen off of one of the aircraft.
It's only a snapshot, but I was impressed...

Regards,  Bob S.