frank theriault wrote:

On 9/12/05, Herb Chong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
OTOH, Kodachrome is certain to be one of the fastest ones to be
discontinued. niche product in an already niche market. slide film accounted
for about 2% of Fuji's film sales in 2003.

You raise an interesting point, Herb.  When I was a kid (like early
60's) my dad (who shot with a Yashica A tlr - the poor man's Mat,
which was the poor man's Rolleiflex <g>) shot probably 80% chrome. He'd set up the projector, tape a sheet on the wall (we were too poor
for a proper screen) and we'd all sit down to look at a new set of
slides.

When he did shoot prints, it was inevitably b&w.

I recall that when I got my first 35mm camera, I shot a lot of chrome,
a lot of b&w prints, and pretty much no colour prints.

So, what killed chromes?  The advent of C41?  I can't believe that
alone did it.  Because while it certainly made colour prints
economical for the snapshot consumer, the price differential didn't
kill black and white, it merely wounded it.

Any thoughts?

cheers,
frank

Frank,

That's pretty much the way I shoot today, although I shoot primarily B&W. Chromes are my standard colour films, I only shoot colour neg when I need lots of speed, or I get a bunch really cheap (Gotta love $1 Likon 200).

I'd have to say the death of the slideshow killed chromes for most folks. People like prints.

-Adam