> I've found that from ISO 200 - 800 the noise levels are low enough that
> you can pick you ISO for the
> Shutter speed F stop combination you want.  At 1600 noise becomes
> noticeable, and at 3200 noise is
> objectionable for any type of smooth subject matter.

I've only had my DS for a short while now, but I did try some tests to see
"what I could get away with" for higher ISO settings (I almost wanted to
say "ASA settings", which would have given me away as the old film dinosaur
that I still am - <g>).  I found pretty much the same as P.J., and I was
pleasantly surprised at the 800 setting, which was almost as good as the
400 setting (which was much like the 200 setting).  Only at 1600 did I have
to really start to think about noise...

Fred