On Sep 16, 2005, at 3:15 PM, Glen wrote:

Somehow I overlooked that. For someone like me, who has been switching between the various exposure modes a lot, it's really disappointing that all these settings can get overridden, depending on the exposure mode. If only Pentax would make a firmware update that eliminated this unwanted behavior. With things switching around like this, "behind my back". I'll have to forget about using most of the exposure modes. I don't want my color saturation and other settings fluctuating during a shoot, just because I switched exposure modes.

The program presets (or "scene modes" or "basic options" depending upon what nomenclature you like) are designed to make it easy for people who don't know or care much about control to get good pictures. They override some settings so as to get consistent behavior regardless how how a novice might have incorrectly set up the configuration. The one essential boon that Pentax provides is that you can save to RAW files even with the the program presets, so you can always change the way the camera would have created the JPEG rendering easily.

Any program preset mode, but one, can be replicated in P, Tv, Av, and M exposure modes. They are the "creative" or "advanced" settings: they override none of the user settings.

The only program preset I've used with the DS (other than for testing) is the "sports" mode, because that is the only mode that supports Continuous-AF operation. I actually didn't find it all that useful ... Tv mode and manual focus works better.

Godfrey