I always use the best. JPG is a compromise anyway; no point in making it worse. If you're short of space on a card, buy more cards.

John

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:32:21 +0100, Derby Chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Glen wrote:

Does anyone have suggestions for an "ideal test subject" that I can use to evaluate how much compression I can tolerate in my JPEG files? Sometimes I shoot in JPEG mode to get more exposures on my card. A lot of the time, I can't tell any significant different difference between different JPEG compression modes. What type of subject would highlight the various JPEG flaws and limitations the most?

thanks,
Glen

A very simple graphic image, say of a chequerboard. You can easily spot the JPEG artifacts near the edges if the compression is high.