On 2005-09-19 09:43, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2005, at 8:32 AM, Martin Trautmann wrote:

>> I did not check all of them - but the logical questions would be:
>> - what's the optimum JPEG setup for best quality
>
> I already gave you the settings I use.

yes, you did. But up to now I don't know any comparison about the
results, telling me the details.

>> - how does this compare to other cameras' optimum setup
>
> On the 10D, to get JPEGs the way I want them requires similar changes
> to the parameters.
>
>> - is there a choice (e.g. via firmware updates or optios) to make
>>   this setup the new default
>
> No.

I guess not yet. Maybe there'll come the day that this info is layed open.

 You pointed out very well that Pentax' decision is suited
very well for direct printing.

> Sigh. "Inferior quality" is a judgement based upon many factors. I
> feel that it is inappropriately ascribed to the use of the Pentax at
> its automated defaults compared to the competition at their defaults
> because the Pentax defaults are intended to be used a certain way and
> the other cameras are providing results which meet the test
> inspection criteria for a different use.

Agreed - but Pentax did not label this setup as 'best for direct print'
vs. 'better for processing'.

> If I carry my card case with a few SD and CF cards, make 10 exposures
> with each camera I'm interested in of standard targets, and then take
> my cards home and study the results at my leisure... I'm learning a
> lot more about the cameras than just how they feel. That's what I do.

Congrats if you can do so.

Thanks,
Martin