Kostas Kavoussanakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Mark Roberts wrote:
>
>> Between the mechanical linkage and the potentiometer, it also introduces
>> two more potential points of failure.
>
>How often have these failed in the past?

I've seen several, and those are from the days when the aperture was set
from the lens, so the potentiometer contacts were moved often. If the
potentiometer is left in one position all the time, as it will be when
most or all of the lenses one owns are left on the "A" setting, failure
will be much *more* common: Potentiometers like to be swept across their
full range of motion occasionally to keep the contacts clean.

I hadn't thought about all this until my previous post on the subject
but I suspect this is a *major* reason why Pentax has eliminated this
part.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing