From: Mark Erickson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:36 PM
To: pentax-discuss
Subject: RE: Camera engineering (was Re: Rename request)

"J. C. O'Connell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I think I have just struck GOLD on this one! The cost reduction of the
>istD has to be measured against the COST of the lenses it does or
>doesn't support. You cant say that $5 savings in the body is worth
>losing thousands in the great lenses....SLR systems are systems. That
>is you have to make SYSTEM decisions on features in bodies, not try to
>evalute the body costs alone in making the feature body set. You cant
>just remove cheap things out of the cameras available that don't end
>upsetting the whole camera SYSTEM economy.

I disagree.  For a company selling camera equipment, the cost reduction (for

both development and production) is measured against its effects on revenues

and earnings from the sale of products going forward.  As I asked in another

message, what is your estimate of the number of sales that Pentax has lost
due to their lack of full K/M support in their DSLR line?

 --Mark