On 9/18/05, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Don't know about the New York City advice. It may be heresy to some but
> I've never liked the place.

Well, I know I'm jumping into this thread late, but my first visit to
NYC was back in July, and it was great!  I can't wait until I can get
back to visit Annsan and do some serious sight-seeing (which I didn't
do much of when I was there).  I only did 1/2 day of street-shooting,
and it was paradise.

Robert, as for your concern WRT the safety of the *istD in the Big
Apple, I wouldn't worry about it, especially as one assumes you'll be
frequenting tourist areas.  I carried my Leica (which admittedly
doesn't look like an impressive camera) all around Manhatten, Brooklyn
and Jersey City, and no one gave me a second glance.  I wouldn't say
that I went into any "scary" areas, but where I went (at all hours of
the day and night) was pretty safe.

Now if you had a real camera, like a Canon...  <LOL>

Anyway, have a great time!!  Sounds like you'll hit New England at the
height of leave-turning season.  Cool!!

cheers,
frank