The *ist D used as much of the MZ series as Pentax could, the mirror box and mirror look identical. The *ist-D even has the platform for power zoom contacts. The documentation that slipped out implied full compatibility, in fact the description of how metering with K/M lenses worked screamed full compatibility. That's probably one of the reasons a large number of people were outraged that the aperture simulator lever was missing. (Unlike some I remember more than 6 months of the past). You have no more proof than I, that the compatibility was abandoned anywhere except late in the project as a marketing decision.

Adam Maas wrote:

William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "P. J. Alling"
Subject: Re: Camera engineering (was Re: Rename request)

I didn't have to. There were more than enough witness' to it's existence. It's not like I believe in flying saucers or not believe in them. I'm very cynical, but I believe there was a full frame 6 megapixal Pentax DSLR which, due to a large number of circumstances, put Pentax back into their cautious mode, when bold moves are probably necessary. I also believe that due to it's user interface it had full support for K/M lenses. Your statement to the contrary not withstanding.

The MZ-D(ebacle) was long enough ago that I don't remember for sure if they showed a working camera or a non working mock up. It's debatable, that they would have left the mechanical support on the MZ-D, had it seen the light of day anyway. Did I read in one of your posts that the istD had the mechanical linkages in preproduction models but by the time the camera was in stores, the linkage was gone?

William Robb

I would expect them to have left in the comaptibility, it's not like they were working off a platform that already had abandoned this compatibility (As the *ist did)

-Adam

--
When you're worried or in doubt, Run in circles, (scream and shout).