You're painting a generalization with a very broad brush, and I'd disagree
with you.  Pezzenti knew his subjects well, knew where they'd fly, was able
to manually focus based on his knowledge of the birds, and get some great
shots.  Eagles don't behave as randomly as you suggest, especially when in
their feeding and nesting areas.

Having spent almost two months in Haines, AK, and a fair amount of time
along the Chilkat (and being shown a very specific feeding area) I believe
I can agree with Pezzenti 100%.

Shel