On Sep 23, 2005, at 12:46 AM, Bruce Dayton wrote:

The plan is to meet on October 8th.  The airshow that is going on that
weekend will have the Red Bull air races starting at 12:45.  The
recommended places to view from are the Aquatic Park and Marina Green.
I am going to have to rely on those familiar with the city to help
determine where we might want to meet and do our shooting.  We are
sort of planning on doing some street oriented photography.

My thought is to meet around 10:30 and learn a little from those familiar with
this genre.  Then a little shooting, lunch, maybe catch the air races
and some more shooting and dinner for those so inclined.  Then call it
a day.

If you want to do "street oriented photography", we have to go places where a group of folks (11, 12 of us?) can spread out in trios, pairs and quartets and not be too great influence on the environment, and we have to be in places that are suitable, where people tend to be, *when* the subject matter is available too.

I have not spent much time in Aquatic Park or Marina Green so I don't know them well. Most of the time I go to the city, I find myself
- near Fort Point
- in the Presidio
- on the west side near Ocean Beach
- downtown by Moscone Center/Civic Center/Union Square area
- near the Ferry Terminal/Pier 39 arc
- in the Mission near the BART 16th Avenue station
- in the Castro district
- by Dolores Park.

There's a lot of street and people activity in all these areas, at various times of the day.

Yesterday's outing to the city:
- Arrived at Fifth & Mission Garage at 10
- Brunch w Mike on Mission at Mel's Diner (mission and 4th) at 11
- Walk through Yerba Buena Park to 2nd to visit Gassers,
   Parade staging between Howard and Market on 2nd (11:45-1:15)

That netted a full 1G card full of street and people photos to work with (yesterday's "contact sheet").

I would suggest meeting up a little earlier (around 10 if possible) in Union Square (there's a nice cafe there to hang out by and watch people, wait for folks to arrive, and it's not an unheard of location for people to just spend time relaxing, resting, and otherwise interacting, could do brunch or lunch there..). The Fifth and Mission Garage is only a few blocks away, and is a good place to leave a car for the day. The BART stations on Market Street bracket Union Square nicely too (New Montgomery is probably the closest, but usually disembark at Civic Center and take the walk to Union Square from there. That gives us time to get together, socialize a little, start doing photography together, and then decide what/whom/where/etc we want to continue on with, and when/where to regroup later.

What does y'all think?

Godfrey

For those who have attended in the past, this has always been a very
fun event - nice to meet up with friends and meet the newcomers.

Hopefully we can get a few more who haven't been to one of these
before - Jack Davis and Barry Rice - you are on the radar!

Shout out if you're not on this list and would like to be!

Current possible attendees:
Bruce Dayton - Confirmed
Marnie Parker
Shel Belinkoff