This one time, at band camp, "McRae, Max MS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The auto focus on the *IstD is hopelessly inadequate for this kind of
> low light work.
>
> I lost a lot of money on this shoot, so I'm looking to buy a camera that
> will do
> the job...possibly a Canon D20.

I spend alot of my time in concert halls shooting dance. Low light and fast
movement
require fast glass.
I like to wait for pauses in a dance to shoot, eg: anticipate when the action
will
stop or slow. I have used the istD for this for some time now and have found
the
results to be mixed. There is certainly a hit/miss ratio but this is not the
fault
of the camera alone. This type of photography guarentees you a failure rate,
this is
why I use digital for this work. The *istD combined with a Pentax AF50mm 1.4
and a
Tokina 70-200mm 2.8 are my lenses for this, shooting with ISO1600 and 2.8 gives
me
maximum shutter speed to be able to freeze the actions on most occasions. about
1/500 is needed. This one taken at 200mm (soft end of the Tokina) *istD 2.8...
http://www.wildcherry.com.au/index.php?p=gallery&photo_id=173

When taking this type of photography I fire off 8-10 shots per minute, and
salvage
what I can. Of course I need to be sure the hit-to-miss ratio is low enough so I
can sell the pics.

I have found the auto focus of the *istD somewhat lacking when compared to the
Canon offering when used in low light. But this has not swayed me and rather
than Canon I will be migrating this part of my work to Hasselblad. A H1/H2
with a fast prime may be the solution I am looking for. I will be renting
one soon to test it out. (results posted for all to see and lots of 35mm
goodies up for grabs if it works out).

To see some of the shots from concerts, see the page here....
http://www.wildcherry.com.au/index.php?p=gallery&cat=Performance

Kind regards
Kevin