And if I may hijack the thread -- anyone heard from Mark Stringer? I think it's a bit wet & windy in Lafayette, too.
ERNR
Thanks for thinking of me. We did much better than Sid and Lake Charles. Tree limbs, no power for a few hours.More inconvenienced than anything. Kat went east, Rita went west. If there is another it may bullseye on me. Rita has made sure that the entire coast of Louisiana which is mostly estuary with very little inthe way of beaches, has been affected in a matter of a few weeks. This has really been devastating to the human life and wild life that live in those areas. I know it is hard to understand why people won't leave butI had friends from lower Bayou Lafourche when I was a teenager, (late 60's)and Golden Meadow was fairly modern in those days also, who had never been on I-10and had never been north of I-10. Only to New Orleans. I remember their first tripafter they were married. The were going to Miss and wound up in Orange Texas.Don't think they weren't bright, just highway ignorant. LA 1 just runs north/south.There is plenty of money and plenty of brains "down the bayou". In those days it was a culture all its own. Now it looks like any other town with WalMarts etc. But those people...those people just won't leave the bayou.Been communicating with friends in and around New Orleans, Slidell, Algiers.It is really tough. Some merely have damaged homes that are unlivable. Can't get insurance settlements for a long time. If they did have a check they wouldn't be able to find contractors. All private and government systemshave been overwhelmed. Many are relocating. My nephew who lives off of St. Charles downtown NO said they may be allowed back in by zip codes beginning next week.The sound of passing rescue helicopters is common now.BTW, my son is home from Iraq with LA 256th. He can start his life again unless they are reactivatedfor hurricane duty. If anyone has seen his photos on my website cmstringer.com, they look like vacation photos compared to what he brought home. They were very upsetting. I wanted to believe he was in the backwater of the action. There is no backwater.About time for a TX-LA PDML meeting. Maybe Sid can join us. I've never met Sid.Mark Stringer_____________________
I used to be "with it" but then they changed what "it" was.
Now, "what" I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.
...Grampa Simpson