Several Zeiss Ikon cameras and the Contax G2 ran the manual focus control from the body. So did the Argus C3. I'm sure there are others.

I'm not that dogmatic about it. I work with whatever the manufacturers offer, and some I like - some I don't.

I like the co-location of exposure controls on modern cameras, separate from focus and focal length controls, but of course I like any system most when it is implemented well and fits my hands properly.

I was browsing the thread on "how you hold your camera" ... I hold any given camera in whatever way will let me hold it steadily and allow me to work well in whatever situation I'm trying to photograph. If the camera is well designed for my hands, I don't have to think about it at all. If the camera's design is cluttered or poorly balanced, it's a pain.

Godfrey