Thursday, September 29, 2005, 1:02:28 PM, Cory wrote:
>> IMHO the best is to allow usage of both AA and proprietary lithiums.
>> Best of the two worlds.
>>
CP>         IMO, that's close to the best.  It would be even better if the
CP> "proprietary" lithiums weren't proprietary.  Two ways I can think of to do
CP> it:

Yes, that would be nice. Will happen probably after hell freezes over,
though ;-)

Also, manufacturers would have to agree on a common battery data bus,
which would mean e.g. Sony and Nikon's very accurate battery readout would
give them no competitional advantage or feature to brag about...

I don't see that happening :-(

OTOH, if the data bus was open enough for all needs, the situation
could work like this - expensive brand batteries with full frame #
remaining readout, e.g. "Nikon" battery in Nikon camera, then a
"Canon" battery in a Pentax camera would give only basic readout, with
some cheapish batteries without much electronics giving only
full/empty, but all would be interchangeable.

Would be also nice if strobes accepted the common two-cell batteries
(the one Canon and Nikon use in their cameras) _as well_ as AA cells.
The slightly higher voltage would be an advantage, the flash would
recycle slightly faster and already many pro strobes can use higher
voltage without any problems (one Nikon's strobe even has a 5th AA cell
"powerpack", for faster recycling).

Alas, I don't see anybody agreeing on common batteries anytime soon. I
am sure future fuel-cells will have proprietary fuel cartridges as well :-(

Few small digital producers like these making digital MF backs have
used e.g. Sony batteries in them, btw.

Good light!
           fra