Sylwester Pietrzyk wrote:

On Oct 1, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Toralf Lund wrote:

I think that might be more like 12 MPix APS-C for $499 vs. 20MPix FF camera for $999. Now, it has already been proven that they are willing to go up from say $400-500 for a reasonably good camera, to 1000 for a much better offering...

I think that for now we are just speculating :-) So far it doesn't look so - the cheapest APS-C DSLRs are already selling for 650$ (only 30% more than my prediction) while cheapest FF camera is about 3300$ (about 230% more than you predicted). There's no chance that 20MP FF DSLR will be $999 in two years until there's strong competition from other manufacturers...

No, I may have been exaggerating a bit (or a lot) about the price, although I'm quite sure the gap between FF and APS-C will become smaller. But 20MP for an FF camera is in many ways a more conservative estimate than 12MP in an entry-level APS-C one. An FF sensor with the same density as a 12MP APS-C one would have something like 27MP.

The point is, the $650 cameras you mention do not have the same specs as the $3300 FF one. The only 12MP APS-C camera I know actually costs 40-50% more than That 12MP FF, and over half of That Other 16MP FF, at least around here. I think we can safely assume that it will remain like that, i.e. it will never be a question of choosing between an expensive FF camera and a low-end APS-C with a similar spec; the FF offering is always going to have a higher pixel count and probably be higher-spec in other areas, too. (And the same-spec APS-C won't cost *that* much less.)

- Toralf