Rob Studdert wrote:

On 2 Oct 2005 at 13:04, Toralf Lund wrote:

I've never been able to believe that the cost is quite zero, though. Not for the pictures you want to keep (whether you print them or not), anyway. Storing & maintaining data on a digital medium costs something, too - especially if you want any kind of security.

Care to make a real estimate of your cost per picture? [ ... ]

Not John but I'll put my 2c worth in as I am always amused when this type of discussion pops up.
Always glad to amuse ;-)

Personally I must say I'm slightly amused when people talk about how much money they save on buying a digital camera, because I always get the feeling that they are rationalising their buying decision after the fact, rather than giving a real reason why they bought one. And that the cost is *nothing* is also part of the somewhat annoying digital hype, I think.

Good DVD-R media is now less than AU$1 per disc and even creating duplicate discs and storing the bloated *ist D RAW files the cost works out at less than AU$0.006 per image.
I take it as given that people on a list like this would want to store *uncompressed* files. I also assume CD/DVD backups are good enough for most purposes - if you want true professional grade backups, you may actually end up with a price higher than the one of film. I don't think I could find DVDs I would trust at quite as low a price as you quoute. I've been figuring more with a *CD* cost of something like that, perhaps a little more (between 5 and 10 NOK). A nice thing about using CDs as a basis, is that you can essentially fit one film's worth of uncompressed files on a CD. So it all becomes a comparison between a film and one (or possibly two) CDs... And *maybe* I'd use CDs rather than DVDs just because they hold fewer files each, and I'd thus reduce the impact of disasters like complete disintegration (or "separation") of the media.

Prints are less costly as I don't print anything myself and my print bureau (and most others) charge less to print (to photo paper) from a finished file than they do from film.
So you *really* save that money? Around here, they both do and don't print cheaper from files. I mean, they do tend to quote lower prices in advertisments, but those prices are sometimes only applicable if you print in very high volumes. And I have found mailorder services that offer "package prices" on film development that will give print costs at least as low as the ones on digital.

Yes the initial fixed costs for equipment were higher than for a similar quality of film camera. However if you are willing to discount the purchase of a computer (which most of us have in any case and which by all rights isn't strictly necessary)

This is what I'm not quite willing to do. Yes, most people do have a computer, but if you say that handling digital images doesn't lead to a higher cost of ownership because you want more powerful equipment and/or need to upgrade more often (and possibly get new problems of various kind), then I don't believe you.

And you do need some kind of a computer, I think, at least if you want to save money. If you let the labs do the job for you, you will easily end up with a higher cost than for film. I guess you have one really low-cost option in the stand-alone camera media/CD/DVD/camera i/o units, though...

At the end of the day, I think the real issue is the "cost" of having to do *some* kind of data management task, or differently put, one of the most important reasons why I haven't got a digital camera, is that I'm not sure want to have equipment where I *have to* do a lot of work on digital images (but then again, *I* do a lot of that in my job, so I prefer to avoid it on my spare time.)

I've been thinking that digital cameras *really* start to make a difference as and when the media used in the camera itself becomes so cheap and reliable that you can simply keep that as a "master copy"...

and the camera is used to shoot regularly the savings in film purchase and processing can be significant and easily reconciled.

For instance I've shot the equivalent of nearly 500 rolls of 36 exposure 35mm film since I purchased my DSLR. At the prices I was paying for film and processing prior to my DSLR purchase (Fuji Provia 400F 135-36 RHP AU$24.24 + DnD processing AU$8.80)

Surely, you have to pay that much only if you purchase one film at a time? Seems like it would be wrong to use that price for purposes of comparison, unless you also assume you are buying one CD or DVD...

I've never used that film myself, but I think I could easily get a pack of 10 for a little more than NOK600, or 120-130 AU$. If I shop around a litttle and/or order from abroad, I can do even better. Generally, I reckon really good film is about NOK50 a roll. Somewhat less professional one is perhaps NOK30, and you can get a cheap no-brand roll for as little as 15...

The last time I did processing only, I paid about NOK30 for it, i.e. around AU$7.50. That was a the local lab; the mail order ones probably do it for less. I'm tempted not to count the processing in, though, as I figure I actually pay less than what the value of not hvaing to spend time on data transfers etc...

I only had to shoot the equivalent of about 60 rolls of film and processing to break even.

... so by my reckoning it's more like 200 right now, down from perhaps as much as 500 when the *istD was introduced. I obviously shoot less than you, so I would spend several years on making the money back. I also feel that the avarage casual shooter won't be able to save as much as the camera cost before it is obsolete (well, that probably takes less than a couple of months if you really want to keep up...) or just isn't usable anymore - so the argument about cost savings doesn't have much merit *when used in a general way*.

And before you ask would I have shot the equivalent of 500 rolls of film in the same time had I not gone digital, I'll say no, but solely due to financial constraints.
Fair enough. I don't feel that I would shoot more than now, which is perhaps a roll a week, in any case...

- Toralf