----- Original Message -----
From: "mike wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >> Black skimmer:  errrrrrr..... ummm.....  skimming....
> >>
> >> http://photography.skofteland.net/displayimage.php?pos=-27
> >>
> >> or if the above link isn't working or is taking too long:
> >>
> >> http://home.mindspring.com/~c_skofteland/id32.html
> >
> This bird feeds by flying low over the water, with the bottom of its
> beak cutting (skimming) the surface.  As it contacts a fish, it closes
> its beak and flies off with its meal.  In theory...  8-)  As a result,
> the lower part of the beak has evolved (or, for those who prefer it,
> been designed) longer to be more effective in that role.
>
> I would have liked to see the shot about 1/10th of a second after this
one.

OK, confession time....  This particular bird had just taken off and was
flying very low above water that was less than 1cm deep right on the
shore...  :-)  1/10 of a second later it lifted up over a breaker and flew
off!  Apparently their normal flight behavior is to fly in a head-down
posture when they take off and land.  I guess it relates to the feeding
strategy.

I'll post a few more shots later on where the birds lower beak is slicing
through the water and you can see the wake kicking up behind.  BTW, there
were thousands of these birds roosting/feeding in Cape May.

Christian