I've not been reading all the messages in this thread, so maybe I missed
something about this.

Pentax buys their sensors from Sony, iirc.  Sony has just announced, or
released, a new camera, the DSC-R1, which uses a Sony-made, 10mp CMOS
sensor with the dimensions of 14mm x 21mm.  The camera has a retail price
of $1,000.00.  Seems like Pentax might do well to take advantage of this
sensor if they can, and if Sony's putting out a camera for $1,000.00 it
seems that the sensor price might be reasonable enough for Pentax to come
out with a very competitively priced camera.  Any comments on this?

Shel