To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: Back from vacation: Lessons learned

Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:

Are these with pre-flash, Dave?

Well, here's the problem I'm having with the AF330FTZ.

If I shoot at night with the AF330FTZ, with no intervention via the flash EV menu, any shot in flash range will be highly overexposed. This is particularly a problem if the background is out of flash range; in other words, the subject is close but the background is distant. But regardless, there is an overexposure issue when shooting with the flash at night.

If I shoot with the flash in twilight conditions (ie, dusk) the problem remains, but isn't as significant.

If I shoot in daylight conditions using the flash as a fill flash, the problem is pretty much gone, which is to be expected, I suppose. Though sometimes I think the flash punches the foreground up just a little too much even in daylight conditions.

I can back the flash off a bit using the flash EV menu in the *ist-DS. Usually I need to back off at least -1ev, but sometimes even -2ev isn't enough. Particularly at night, -2ev in the flash EV menu isn't enough to balance things out. In this case, I have to switch the camera over to manual mode and manipulate the flash's effectiveness via f-stop settings for the lens.

What is a real challenge with the AF330FTZ is shooting a night shot of a cityscape while using the flash to illuminate the subject in the foreground. I attempted such a shot in Hong Kong (for those of you familiar with Hong Kong, we were at the mountain peak via the cable-car tram). There, I wanted to take a shot of my wife with the city lights in the background and her properly exposed in the foreground. I've taken this sort of shot with my ZX-5n and the AF330FTZ. But I just absoutely couldn't get it right with the *ist-DS and AF330FTZ.

It shouldn't have been that difficult of a shot; use a tripod, meter for the city lights in the background, and allow the flash's TTL to cut the flash short when the foreground reached proper exposure. Heck, the camera's "night shot" mode is pretty much MADE to do this. But even without night-shot mode, I should be able to switch to Tv mode and set the shutter speed relatively slow. The rest should be handled by the camera and flash.

The fact is that I never got what I thought was a decent result until I switched the flash to ML mode (low power manual mode) and the camera to Manual mode so that I could take care of the shutter and aperture myself. By then my wife was pretty much tired of the whole situation and the shot was ruined by her boredom. ;)

The AF330FTZ doesn't have a prefire mode, only TTL (not P-TTL).

<SNIP>