On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 at 09:41:36 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cheerfully shouted:

> I just bought an SMC-M 50/4.0 macro...
>
> I really bought it for my S.O. to use as a "normal" lens...I thought
> at first that an f4.0 would be too slow for a general purpose lens...

> So is this lens decent? (KEH wants obscene prices for them)

It's a great lens. It was the first Pentax lens I ever bought (hence
the single vote for it in the favorite lens survey) and I was
thrilled to pieces a couple of years ago when I got a replacement for
the original, which had died in a flood.

It goes down to f/32; tell your S.O. that she should take care to
learn to set the aperture appropriately to get the right depth of
field, rather than just putting the thing on f/4 or f.5.6 and
forgetting about it.

It is a true macro lens with flat focus plane and optimized for close
up work, but I had great success with it photographing all sorts of
neat things. Ah, those were the days!

Be careful. She may soon be producing much better pictures than you
do.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada