Hmm. When I put a 50mm f/1.4 lens on both MX and DS, and bring them both to my eyes like a pair of binoculars, the image brightness and magnification is the same. The biggest difference is that the MX viewfinder is larger and shows a larger field of view, so the total brightness of the viewfinder is greater, that black surround makes the DS viewfinder appear darker even if the active portion is just as bright. Switching between a Nikon F3 and a Hasselblad 500C/M used to have the same effect on my eyes in terms of perceived brightness.

Also, the MX viewfinder has a shorter eye relief, which makes it harder to see the edges of the frame without moving my eye around. The DS sits just right for my vision with glasses.

Godfrey