Sylwester Pietrzyk wrote:

P. J. Alling wrote on 05.10.05 9:43:

Pentax could do that, if they wanted to.
They did. At least in patent filed a few years ago. I have even made a PDF
from that patent, we called it "KAF3" mount. It used current digital contact
for communication and powerzoom contacts to provide voltage supply for USM
and IS motors.

But what if the contacts were missing? Would you still be able to do AF the other way?

But strangely Pentax has removed power zoom contacts in the
newest cameras...
Have they really removed it, or just used the KAF mount instead of KAF2? As far as I can tell, KAF2 has been used only for relative higher-end cameras; KAF ones have always been produced along with them. For instance, while the MZ-5n/MZ-3 and MZ-S have KAF2 mounts, the MZ-6 and "below" have KAF.

- Toralf