You can develop a fairly broad integrated understanding of both
photography and darkroom work by reading the three books in the Ansel
Adams series: _The Camera_, _The Negative_, and _The Print_. They're
available in both hardcover and softcover versions in most bookstores.
They're quite well written and very informative.
Paul Stenquist