On Oct 6, 2005, at 2:46 AM, John Forbes wrote:

It's always interesting when people tweak other people's photos.
In this case I prefer the original; Godfrey's version seems much too bright, and it emphasises the slightly washed out highlights. Perhaps I need to look at the calibration of my monitor.

I went to look at the two pictures together on the calibrated monitor again, just to be sure I didn't post the wrong file. Figured I'd run a composite ... this is a screen capture of the two photos, opened in the same browser, to which I added a histogram showing the pixel values on each of the images.

Original on the left, my edit on the right:

  http://homepage.mac.com/godders/Hailey_BW-g-ss.jpg

You should be able to see that the two images' highlights are virtually identical, the work I did was to open up just shadow values. This is an sRGB tagged JPEG rendering so the differences should be clearly apparent if you use a browser that honors profiles.

Godfrey