I think colour palette matters much to people in photographs and
preferences are highly subjective; the simplest proof is how much
people argue and differ on prints made on papers by various brands:
some prefer saturated greens of Fuji paper while others find them
unacceptable and artificial; there are people who praise "natural"
colours of Agfa paper while others find them dull etc.
I would be interested in hearing from you on any results of your
future "comparative studies"
Cheers
Jarek