To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: PESO - Sanderlings in flight

----- Original Message ----- From: "Herb Chong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

frankly, when shooting birds the way i normally do, it
would have been wide open and no attempt at DOF at all,

Which is my "old" way of shooting birds.  One of the fundamental things I
learned last week was use as much depth of field as you can get away with.

This shot, for example:

http://tinyurl.com/dmwgb

was shot at f16 to get the tip of the beak through to the eye in focus
(something I never would have thought about before; it used to be "get the
eye sharp!").  I used to be a firm believer in "shoot all wildlife wide
open" but now understand that there are other ideas and options out there.
I'm still learning and hopefully these new tips are improving my
photography.

Christian