Tell your wife's friends that digital cameras are a waste of time and
money, and then have them read this:
http://pcworld.about.com/news/Jun142005id120980.htm

Seriously, it doesn't matter where you direct them.  They will always
come back to YOU with more questions.  They won't utilize the web.
They won't ask other friends.  They won't bug the kid behind the
counter at the camera shop.  They'll keep coming back to you.  Again
and again and again.  I built a computer for my father a couple years
ago.  I know how this works.

Here's the easy answer.  Just tell them to pick something from this
list that fits their budget:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html
The nice thing about the best cameras list is that it's kept current.
And there's always at least one Pentax on it.  Sometimes more.  :)

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com

--
"You have to hold the button down" -Arnold Newman