And I bet, very seriously, that using anything LESS than something like the LaCrosse will net that much of an improvement.

NiMH battery life and performance is very tightly hooked to the quality of the charger. The more sophisticated the charger, the better it gets up to the limits of the battery set. Just draining than recharging the batteries would never give such a performance improvement.

For my admittedly simplistic purposes, shoving the buggers into the supplied charger once a week is doing well enough that it's no matter. ;-)

Godfrey