But you shouldn't buy from a seller whose ratings were obtained only as a buyer.
Paul
On Oct 19, 2005, at 12:33 AM, graywolf wrote:

Nothing keeping you from buying a hundred bucks worth of $1ea merchandize and getting 100 positives either.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Tom C wrote:

I may be asking this out of total ignorance Paul, I hope not. As far as reliability of ratings goes, what makes them reliable?

What's to stop me from conducting a series of BIN auctions on e-bay and having my wife create multiple e-bay accounts with different e-mail addresses from multiple locations, and then having her make the 'purchase' and leave positive feedback? Little I suspect.

The one time I got ripped on the guitar, the seller had a rating of over 99.5% with 1000's of transactions. I am inclined to believe that the vast majority of transactions go smoothly, but a seller who decides to be occasionally unscrupulous is easily able to hide the fact in the numbers. The more successful transactions a seller may have, the easier it can get to hide the stinkers.

Tom C.